Designing your dream home requires a lot of work. Choosing the perfect countertop can be more work than one realizes. Among the most popular materials is granite. Its luxurious feel and aesthetic beauty increase the overall value of your home.
If you are considering installing granite countertops in your kitchen or somewhere else in your house, it is important that you understand everything about them. This includes knowing the pros and cons. To shop for the best granite material, Méga Comptoirs is the best place to start.
How did granite become a popular choice for countertops among homeowners?
Granite has become a popular choice among homeowners, and with good reason. The material is durable, aesthetic, timeless, valuable, and useful. Therefore, incorporating this material into your home can be a great experience. It is no wonder that so many people want to include it in their homes in some shape or form.
The granite industry has evolved and matured in various aspects. Improvements in this sector have reduced the cost of extraction, manufacture, and export, allowing more people to buy granite. Previously, only the rich were able to buy, which has changed now.
Granite pros and cons
- Granite is an eco-friendly product. It can be recycled and used over and over again. Since it comes directly from nature, no harmful waste products are produced during manufacturing.
- Granite is one of the strongest natural stones on earth. Therefore, it won’t break easily or acquire scratches.
- Since granite is an igneous rock, it is used to extreme heat and pressure. You won’t have to worry about placing a hot or heavy vessel on your counter while working in the kitchen, as it won’t be ruined.
- While granite has now become more accessible than before, the price factor still falls in the cons category. This is because the lower the price is, the worse the quality. Therefore, not everyone can afford good-quality granite.
- Granite countertops are porous. Therefore, it soaks up any leaks or spills and accumulates bacteria. Sealing maintenance is required to avoid this, which can seem like a burden to some homeowners.
- Since granite is a natural stone, the color and pattern options are fewer. The most common colors found are black and white.
What should you consider when buying granite?
This may sound obvious, but the one thing you should consider when purchasing granite is whether you like its color and pattern. After all, you are incorporating it into your home/building, and you will be seeing it often. If you do not like the view of it, then there is no point.